Thursday, June 25, 2009

A New Language

I never wanted to learn another language as a kid. Sister Mary 3 ended up as a Spanish major in college and Sister Mary 5 loves her German classes. I somehow avoided any extra language in college. I did get a chance to learn some Russia when The Prof and I lived there with baby (at the time) Buck. But I sure have forgotten a whole lot. Anyway, Sister Mary 1 checked out the blog and said it looked cool but there was a lot of new lingo. So this is my attempt to give out a basic bargainers vocabulary.

Smart Source or SS - these are one of two coupon inserts in your paper. The other is
Red Plum or RP - both also have online coupons as well. Occasionally there are
Unilever or Proctor and Gamble coupons in your Sunday Paper too.

Catalina - (nope, not the salad dressing) ever get handed a little coupon that printed out at check out? The machines that print them are named Catalina. Pay attention to these little guys. Sometimes they let you know of upcoming deals, are coupons, or are cash off your next purchase.

BOGO or B1G1 - Buy One, Get One, or sometimes B1G1 half off. Combine these deals with a coupon on each item and the savings really start adding up.

Rolling - okay, say you get a catalina for $3 off your next purchase when you buy shampoo at that store. On some sales or deals, you can use that catalina coupon to buy more of the same shampoo, and get another catalina coupon for $3 off your next order. So you can stock up and the savings just increase. This doesn't work on all catalinas or all stores, so it's great to know when it does work.

OOP or Out of Pocket - what you pay at check out for your purchases. See, I'm often using catalinas or a gift card in addition to my coupons, meaning less cash out of pocket.

Blinkies or Peelies - don't think I have used this term on the blog yet. Ever noticed a coupon right on the package that you can peel off? That is a peelie. Along the same lines, there is sometimes a little machine that will print out a coupon right next to the product, that is a Blinkie.

Okay, anything I missed or wasn't clear on? Just leave me a comment and I will try to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment