Wednesday, May 6, 2009

That's a Good Idea


I have loved going to some Beth Moore studies; she feels like a friend. Or someone you want to be friends with. In a recent video of her I saw, she shared how she chooses what to share or say. Basically if she thinks it's interesting, she figures someone else will too. So along those lines I want this to be a place where I can share things that helped me, the good ideas I've found recently or along the way.

I love Potato salad and have this great recipe from Russia. Of course every salad in Russia seems to have potatoes in it. So usually a recipe is named for the special or unique ingredient in it. So this is actually called Meat Salad in Russia, and that is where I got the recipe. My hubby (now called The Prof) and I spent a year there in 96/97. But peeling and boiling up and dicing sure takes a lot of time. So I only used to make this for special occasions. So here is how I just learned to make my potatoes, thanks to my sister, Sister Mary 4 (I think I'll just number all those Marys since they also may apply for a job someday). Basically, wash them well, but don't peel them. Score them around the middle with a knife, making sure you cut through the skin all the way. Then place in boiling water for about 15 minutes. When the potatoes are done move them to a bowl of ice water for about 10 seconds. The skins should now just peel away by pulling on each side. I tried this last night for the first time and it worked like a charm. It was way easier then peeling them all and I didn't loose chunks of potato in the water. Here is link to see it done. If I get my tech act together, maybe I will learn how to post the video! But don't hold your breadth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4W0qIPJmoo

Meat Salad


1 pound sausage or ham
1 carrot
3 hard boiled eggs diced
1/2 bag of frozen peas (don't cook)
2-3 pickle spears diced
6-8 potatoes
mayonnaise to coat.

Boil potatoes and carrot together, dice. Cut other ingredients and mix all together. Use mayonnaise to coat.

1 comment:

  1. that's so cool about the potato peeling! If it weren't so late I'd hafta go try it for myself... oh well, next time :-)

    ReplyDelete