Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Freezer Cooking Recipes


I know I mentioned this before but I didn't stay home to cook. If you look at my spices I have the basics, same goes for pantry items. You won't find any strange ingredients here (well, that is not entirely true. Now that I'm couponing, I am finding lots of new things to try). It is a byproduct of my picky eater childhood. But I do have a fondness for easy. I have enjoyed Taste of Home mags or 4 ingredients cookbooks. And I love mixing up several batches of dishes I have found freeze well. I usually just put the recipe in a gallon freezer bag and lay it flat. Be sure and squeeze out as much air as you can for freshness. So here are two I did with my stock up and one I have planned:

Baked Ziti
1 egg
2 C. Cottage Cheese
16 oz ziti pasta cooked to instructions (undercook a bit if you are freezeing)
1 1/2 to 3 Cups of pasta sauce
10 oz. frozen spinich, cooked and well drained
Blend egg and cottage cheese and add to the rest of ingredients and mix well. Bake in sprayed 3 quart casserole at 350 for 30 minutes.

Cranberry Chicken
1 Can Whole Cranberry Sauce
1 Jar Russian or Catalina Dressing
1 package of Onion Soup Mix (can halve to cut on salt)
3-6 lbs chicken breasts
Mix sauce and pour over chicken in dish (or freezer bag). Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. Serve over rice.

Sloppy Joes
16 oz ground beef
1/2 C. onion
1 Cup tomato sauce
1/2 to 1 Cup salsa
1 T. brown sugar
Brown ground beef and onion and drain. Add the rest and simmer for 15-20 minutes. I have done this in bigger batches with ground turkey mixed in as well.

So now you know what I'm doing with all that Ragu, salsa, and salad dressing from the Meijer sales! I would love some new and easy meals to use in the freezer. Feel free to share them with us here.

No comments:

Post a Comment