Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bread Making



Okay, what is this all over my counter? Bread mixes made by me.: Winter cometh and I am longing for stews and soups and crockpotty type dishes with homemade bread. Do you still have that bread maker on a shelf somewhere? This is what I do with mine. I make my favorite mix up ahead. Since I had scored some flour at .99 and the season is right, it was time to mix some more up. How many do I do at a time? Well that is decided by how many plastic bags or how much ingredients I have. I was hoping to use up the last of my whole wheat flour but ran out of plastic bags. If you notice that the bags all look different, I have a confession to make: I wash out my ziplocks untill they are dead (so now you know how frugal I am :). Here is my favorite recipe:

Whole Wheat Bread - large loaf

Bread Flour (I use regular) 2 1/2 Cups
Whole Wheat Four 1/2 Cup
Salt 1 1/2 teaspoons
Sugar 3 Tablespoons
Dry Milk 1 1/2 Tablespoons

All the above into the ziplock bags.

Warm tap water 1 1/8 Cups
Add the bag
Dry Yeast: 1 teaspoon for bread setting, 2 tsp for bread rapid setting
Butter 1 1/2 tablespoon

No comments:

Post a Comment